For the full list of available bots and to get help, join #bots:mbot.ethz.ch. New bots and updates will be posted in this room.
To manage bots
/kick them like regular users.
They respond to
!commands or react to patterns or words.
Most of them support encryption, but it can be unreliable. It is probably a bad idea anyway to include a bot in your encrypted conversations.
A bot for showing Gitlab activity in your Matrix room and for interacting with your Gitlab repositories.
Getting notifications in your room
Apply the following steps:
- Invite gitlab (
@gitlab:mbot.ethz.ch) to your room.
- Log in to Gitlab and open your repository's webhooks settings.
- For the URL, put
https://mbot.ethz.ch/_matrix/maubot/plugin/gitlab/webhooks?room=!your_room_id. Your room ID can be found on the "Advanced" tab of your room settings in Element.
- For the Secret Token, put
- Check off the triggers you'd like to have in your room and click "Add webhook". Although not all are handled, many do result in notifications to your room.
To later remove the bot from your room, delete the webhook in Gitlab and kick the bot from the room.
Managing your repositories with the bot
The bot has several commands to do things like create issues which require access to your Gitlab account.
- Invite gitlab (
@gitlab:mbot.ethz.ch) to a private chat.
- Log in to Gitlab and go to your account settings. Once there, click "Access Tokens" on the left side.
- Generate a new access token with a name and optional expiration date. Ensure the token has all available scopes assigned. These are required so that it can create issues and such on your behalf.
- In your private chat with the bot, say
!gitlab login your_access_token
- If successful, say
!gitlab helpto see what the bot can do.
- Supports recurring reminders, cron-style reminders, room reminders
- Invite reminder (
@reminderbot:mbot.ethz.ch) to your room
!help remindersor have a look at the readme
- For room reminders set the appropriate power level (Moderator)
Create your own sticker packs to share with others (or to keep to yourself). This requires an integration manager which supports custom sticker packs.
- Invite stickers (
@stickers:mbot.ethz.ch) to a private chat.
!stickers newpackand follow the directions.
- Open the integration manager and edit your sticker packs.
- Paste the URL the bot gave you into the "Add Sitcker Packs" box.
- Click "Add Stickerpack"
A bot that posts messages to rooms when an email is received. Ideal for uses where a short message is desired in a chat room when a newsletter goes out.
This bot can only receive emails from within the ETH network, this includes:
- mails from @phys.ethz.ch or @ethz.ch mail addresses
- mailing lists (lists.phys.ethz.ch/)
- direct mails from computers or IoT devices on the ETH network
It is still possible to route external emails to the bot via a D-PHYS mailbox or alias. Please contact us to request a mailbox/alias (if not already existing).
- Invite emailbot
@emailbot:mbot.ethz.chto your Matrix room.
- Get your room's internal ID (for instance,
- Contact rda
@rda:phys.ethz.ch(via DM) to set the appropriate
allow_fromrule for your room ID.
- Send an email to
<room id without !>_<domain>@emailbot.mbot.ethz.ch(eg:
- See the message the bot posts (click on view to see the whole message).
- Optional: create an email forward from a mailbox or subscribe to a mailing list using the email address from above.