We describe some typical tools to transfer small to large amounts of data from one host to another.
SMB / sFTP / FileZilla / CyberDuck
- User-friendly graphical interface instead of command line
The easiest solution is to mount the groupshare on one computer and manually copy the files with drag-n-drop. This is only recommended for transfers of up to several gigabytes.
- Best all-rounder solution that works for small and large transfers.
- Scans files in target location, only copies what is not yet present.
- Allows to resume transfer after interruption, without having to re-copy all files.
rsync -avP /path/to/local/folder/ \ email@example.com:/home/groupname/subfolder/
man rsync for a full documentation of all available options.
Globus Online & GridFTP
- Best solution to transfer several terabytes of data
- Uses the high-performance data transfer protocol GridFTP
- May not be supported by all universities.
- CSCS support command line (GridFTP with SSH authentication)
- CSCS support Globus.org, Endpoint:
CSCS Globus Online Endpoint
via Globus web interface
- Open a Browser and go to Globus.org
- It is possible to login with your n.ethz account credentials
- Select ETHZ - ETH Zurich
- or create an globus.org account
- Use our endpoint
D-PHYS ETH Zurich
via command line
Refer to the globus-cli documentation.