BackupPC: Backup of lab PCs
For lab PCs, we offer a backup service specifically targeted at computers with intermittent network access.
For BackupPC, we accept the following machines for backup:
- ETH-owned lab computers which are not always online: Usually only scientific data is backed up, exceptions are possible in special cases.
- BackupPC is primarily meant to restore selected files, and does usually not allow a full system restore. Please use other backup technologies if you need that feature (disk images, TimeMachine, etc).
- The computer to be backed up needs either a static IP or a unique hostname set and sent with the DHCP request. In the last case we recommend to include research group, room number and user name to achieve this, e.g. "isg-hpt-d17-beckert". Any single word name will not suffice since backup will stop working in most cases if another computer sends the same name.
- Will not work without cabled connection. WLAN/WiFi NOT SUPPORTED!
- See our list of excluded folders to know which folders are not backed up.
BackupPC uses no fixed schedule. It tries to make at least one backup every 24 hours. When it will try that depends mostly on when the computer to backup is online. The exact rules are as follows:
- It looks every 15 minutes if a machine is online.
- If it is online, it checks the date of the last backup of that machine.
- If the newest backup is older than 24 hours, it will try to make a backup.
- It will postpone the backup to the next available time slot, if too many other backups are running currently on the server.
- If a machine was permanently online for more than a week in a row, backups will be made only during the night.
This backup service uses the free backup software BackupPC. BackupPC is a file oriented backup system and uses SSH together with rsync or tar to make or restore backups, but it can also use SMB to access Windows computers. There's usually no third party software needed on the client computer.
Preparing your computer for BackupPC
To be able to use this backup service, you need to configure your computer appropriately.
Register your computer for the D-PHYS BackupPC service
If your computer complies with the conditions above and you have already done the operating system specific preparations described above, register the computer for D-PHYS BackupPC service. Please note that BackupPC only makes sense for machines with intermittent network access. If your computer has a stable network connection and is always online, we have more appropriate backup solutions - talk to us.
Access, Restore, and Manage your Backups
To fetch or restore a file from backup, or to immediately schedule or stop a backup, you can log into the backup system with your D-PHYS account. Open the web interface corresponding to the server where your machine is backed up.
Documentation of the web interface can be found here.